No work sprint Monday. Spoons must be used to clean my bedroom because of company coming over on Tuesday.
Looks like I’ll work Wednesday instead.
So my last work sprint had me too sore to move for a whole day and a half, then responsibilities took over and right now I’m overcome by ennui.
My next sprint will be Monday the 14th. I’ll be broadcasting live as I fart around in my craft room, finishing up Niji’s dress and my little unnamed Ante’s halloween garb.
Just checked on Lily’s progress in the 1:1 Pine-sol and water solution. It’s working about as well as an hour in W&N, and is dissolving the paint in much the same way.
I’ve rolled over the parts that weren’t fully submerged and she’s been left to soak overnight. I think with a good solid brush tomorrow (dollar store toothbrushes?) I’ll be able to get the paint off without too much effort.
Downside so far: The fumes. Oh god, the fumes. We’ve got it out in the garage and covered, and it’s still.. pretty intense. I think after I get her clean, I’ll soak her in hot water and baking soda to pull out the smell.
Edit (well after the fact) - She soaked overnight and part of the next day in the Pine Sol solution, and then my partner and I sat down with gloves and toothbrushes and masks. The paint came off in gooey sheets, and the resin beneath was completely unharmed, if a little, well, piney.
I left her to soak another two days in a baking soda/water solution, to see if I could soak up some of the smell, but that didn’t seem to work, so she was laid out on a towel in my work room and left to air out. It took about a week and a half for the pine smell to dissipate, and another week for it to disappear completely. You can still smell it if you put the resin right against your nose, but it’s very faint and fading fast now.
In conclusion, I think that if you need to remove a lot of paint at once, and you have access to a well ventilated and covered area (like a garage) so you don’t make yourself sick on the fumes that this is a viable option. I wouldn’t use it to just take off a face-up, but when you need a lot of coverage, you don’t need to be using W&N at $40/bottle when you can’t salvage the solution after it’s saturated with paint.
It’s a nice addition to my arsenal, and I like that I have it for removing the full body resin changes that I like to do when they need to be refinished.
Currently attempting a pine-sol and water soak to remove all-over airbrush painting from a doll. She spent the night in lemon pine sol and water but lemon doesn’t actually have pine oil in it. It did, however, soften the paint enough to be scratched off in places with a fingernail.
I’ll post tomorrow with my progress. I really needed a cheaper, resin-safe way to remove a lot of paint at once, since W&N is now $40 a bottle. Hopefully, this is it.
I promise I didn’t fall off the face of the earth. After that cold (which lasted a week more after that last post), we had pre-Portcon prep, Portcon, a home inspection (massive cleaning), Pride, a visit from my parents and a second weekend stay in Portland.
The last month has been more than packed, and I haven’t had a second to work on my own things beyond a quickie set of press-on nails I made for pride but didn’t end up wearing. Seriously, I have had *no* time to hobby. Any downtime has been used for recovery from the swarm of endless, busy days.
Only tonight have I actually cleaned and organized my work room to a semi-workable condition, and I’m hoping to get something accomplished this week, but it might not be until next week at this rate because it’s already Tuesday and we’ve got company this weekend.
No WOMWT recently because I’ve had this cold for about two weeks now, and haven’t been able to actually do anything at all. Hopefully next week will have a fresh new set of pictures for you all to enjoy.